Lover Mine by J.R. Ward
“In the darkest corners of the night in Caldwell, New York, a conflict like no other rages. Long divided as a terrifying battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the city is home to a band of brothers born to defend their race: the warrior vampires of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.
John Matthew has come a long way since he was found living among humans, his vampire nature unknown to himself and to those around him. After he was taken in by the Brotherhood, no one could guess what his true history was- or his true identity. Indeed, the fallen Brother Darius has returned, but with a different face and a very different destiny. As a vicious personal vendetta takes John into the heart of the war, he will need to call up on both who he is now and who he once was in order to face off against evil incarnate.
Xhex, a symphath assassin, has long steeled herself against the attraction between her and John Matthew. Having already lost one lover to madness, she will not allow the male of worth to fall prey to the darkness of her twisted life. When fate intervenes, however, the two discover that love, like destiny, is inevitable between soul mates.”
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of Lover Mine. WOW! This is the book I have been waiting for in the series and it totally blew my mind. Don’t get me wrong, I loved every book in The Black Dagger Brotherhood’s series and have been buying them faithfully since the first book came out, but John Mathew’s story? Just AMAZING! J.R. Ward really outdid herself for this book and I am so very grateful and satisfied with the outcome.
Lover Mine can be read as a stand-alone and you will fall in love with the series and rush out to grab the rest of the books, but I personally found it to be that much more satisfying because of the build up and history of the character, John Mathew, from previous books. Kind of like Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Acheron was to her Dark Hunter series.
Lover Mine focuses on John Mathew and Xhex’s relationship, but has so many plot twists and turns along with excellent side stories involving Tohr, Payne, Blay, Qhuinn, some ghost hunters and the Lessers. Great back stories for Xhex, John Mathew and Darius are also skillfully woven into the telling of this tale.
IMO, JR Ward is a master of the weaving of an immensely captivating and fascinating paranormal. I highly recommend this book and series to anyone who loves incredible world-building, steamy romance, action, suspense, a rich history and a dangerously sexy twist on the vampire mythos. At times, dark and gritty and at others heartbreakingly beautiful, these characters blaze to life on paper.
Buy Lover Mine at:
The Reading Order Of The Series:
Find out more about J.R. Ward and her books at her website.
14 Writers on the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series
Edited by Laurell K. Hamilton
You can also buy Ardeur directly from Smart Pop Books with a 30% discount off the price!
“Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series is a literary sensation, thanks to its strong female hero, well-fleshed (both literally and literarily) characters and unabashed attitude toward sex. The world Hamilton has created is powerfully compelling and stunningly complex—and it gets deeper and richer, and more perilous, with every book.
Straddling the series’ dominant themes of sex and power, Ardeur gives Anita fans a deeper look into the dynamics, both personal political, that have kept readers fascinated throughout the run of the series. Why is the ardeur the very best thing that could have happened to Anita, personally (aside from all the sex it requires her to have with hot men)? How is Anita’s alternate United States a logical legal extension of our own? And as the series continues, what other bargains might Anita have to make with herself and others in order to keep the people she loves safe from harm?”
Smart Pop Books has been gracious enough to supply a copy of Ardeur to giveaway to one of my readers! Contest is open to USA & Canada.
Tell me what you love about the Anita Blake series?
For one entry: Please leave a comment with the answer to the question. (+1 entry)
For extra entries:
- Subscribe to my blog, Sidhe Vicious Reviews, through the links at the top right hand side of the blog, and let me know in your comment. Be sure you verify your subscription through the email you’ll receive or it won’t count. (+1 entry)
- If you’re already subscribed, you’ll receive two extra entries, but be sure to let me know in the comments if you’re an old follower. (+2 entries)
- Post a link to this contest on your Twitter, FaceBook, MySpace, GoodReads, LibraryThing, or on your blog and send me the link either in the comments or by email and you’ll get an extra entry for each place you add a link to. ( add 1 entry each for however many links you’ve done)
- Follow me on Twitter, Add me as a friend on FaceBook, GoodReads, MySpace, Chapters Community or LibraryThing. (add 1 entry each for however many places you followed/friended me)
- Contest is open to Canada & USA and will run through May 4th until 11:59pm. The winners will be posted here on May 5th. Please leave your email addy in your comment for me to contact you if you’ve won. If I haven’t heard back from the winner in 7 days, a new winner will be drawn from the eligible comments. Winners will be chosen by a random number generator. Good Luck everyone!
(I should also mention that if you’re leaving me a bunch of links in your comment, do not panic if it doesn’t show up right away. It just automatically gets held for me to moderate, which I will as soon as I’m online. )