Sherry D. Ficklin – Guest Blog & Giveaway
Today, it’s my pleasure to welcome debut author Sherry D. Ficklin to SVR! Her first Paranormal YA novel, Foresight, is out now and she’s been kind enough to come by to guest blog and offer up an autographed copy of Foresight and some swag to one lucky commenter. ( Read my review ) Let’s be sure to give her a warm welcome. 🙂
Though, there was some debate on this one. One agent said it was “dead again” and another called the fanged ones “timeless” which just goes to show that what one person loves, another will hate. There’s no pleasing everyone, especially agents.
2. Fallen Angels
I have seen many of these recently, but I don’t know if I quite agree with this. I think there’s still lots of room in the mix for a well done Angel story, but I would like to see something new, something that puts a twist on what everyone else is doing with them.
Sorry, my furry friends. You are so over. (Except for you, Bree Despain. You just keep putting out those books)
Yes, the fair ones are making the rounds again. Who doesn’t love a good Faerie tale?
2. Greek Mythology
With movies like Clash of the Titans and the forthcoming God of War, is this a huge shock? Nope.
Really? I guess so. Not a huge surprise. They are looking for good Zombie books that put a new twist on the old ideas.
Other huge trends right now are Steampunk (think Dr. Who) and Romance (think Perfect Chemistry).
Why is this important? Short answer, it’s not. If you (like me) love vampire books, that’s not gonna change just because fewer are being published. “Trends” are crap and writing to a trend is stupid because it takes so long to write and publish a book that by the time you made it to the shelf, the trend would be over anyway.
So, then why did I write a Greek myth/Faerie story? Because I love them. Passionately. And when I wrote this book, 3 years ago, I had a hard time finding someone to publish it because all anyone wanted was a vampire story. Yep. Thank goodness my publisher had the foresight (no pun intended) to give FORESIGHT a try.
Monsters will never fall out of favor totally. We love our monsters. We need our monsters. But they do seem to cycle around. So you tell me, what monsters would you like to see more/less of?
Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go work on my Zombie/Steampunk/Romance. Have a great week everyone, and Happy Reading!
Sherry Ficklin has been gracious enough to supply an autographed copy of Foresight, book one in The Gods Of Fate trilogy and a reversable book tote with some swag such as buttons, pens and a beaded book thing to giveaway to one of my readers! Contest is open to Everyone.
Ask Sherry a question about the book, about writing, or about the paranormal elements she discusses in her guest post!
For one entry: Please leave a comment with the answer to the question. (+1 entry)
For extra entries:
- Subscribe to my blog, Sidhe Vicious Reviews, through the links at the top right hand side of the blog, and let me know in your comment. Be sure you verify your subscription through the email you’ll receive or it won’t count. (+1 entry)
- If you’re already subscribed, you’ll receive two extra entries, but be sure to let me know in the comments if you’re an old follower. (+2 entries)
- Post a link to this contest on your Twitter, FaceBook, MySpace, GoodReads, LibraryThing, or on your blog and send me the link either in the comments or by email and you’ll get an extra entry for each place you add a link to. ( add 1 entry each for however many links you’ve done)
- Follow me on Twitter, Add me as a friend on FaceBook, GoodReads, MySpace, Chapters Community or LibraryThing. (add 1 entry each for however many places you followed/friended me)
- Contest is open to Everyone and will run through September 10th until 11:59pm. The winners will be posted here on September 11th. (That’s my birthday! I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than for one of my readers to win a great book & some cool swag)
- Please leave your email addy in your comment for me to contact you if you’ve won, but post it like wilmaflinstone(at)boomshakalaka(dot)com so you don’t get any spam. If I haven’t heard back from the winner in 7 days, a new winner will be drawn from the eligible comments. Winners will be chosen by a random number generator. Good Luck everyone!
(I should also mention that if you’re leaving me a bunch of links in your comment, do not panic if it doesn’t show up right away. It just automatically gets held for me to moderate, which I will as soon as I’m online. )